Hagrid's birthday cake recipe
Another recipe shared by Lene. She was making Hagrid’s birthday cake for her son August. Feel free to visit her blog for more recipes here.
We suggest also Harry Potter candles to make the occasion more magical
For the cake, you will need the following ingredients:
Hagrids cake or Black Magic
- 375 g all purpose flour
- 500 g sugar
- 100 g dark cocoa
- 3 tsk. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 dl. buttermilk
- 2 dl. flavor neutral oil
- 3 eggs, size M/L, room temperature
- 3 dl. coffee
White chocolate ganache (lyserød)
- 1 dl. whipping cream
- A little pink food coloring
- 200 g white chocolate
- 3 dl. whipping cream
- 60 g sugar
- 30 g dark cocoa
- 2 tsk. vanilla sugar
You also need some green royal icing of egg white, icing sugar and green food coloring.
- Preheat the oven to 170° fan assisted and prepare 3 round pans, 20 cm diameter. Grease the sides of the cake pans and line the pans with a round piece of baking paper.
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a bowl, so that there are no lumps of cocoa or raising agents. Mix well.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a jar. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry with a spoon. Do not whisk or overmix, because you will end up with heavy, compact cakes.
- Divide the batter into the 3 cake pans and bake the cakes for 30-35 minutes. A wooden skewer will come out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 5 minutes, before you take them out of the pans and let them cool completely on a cooling rack.
Chop the white chocolate and put it into a bowl.
Bring the whipping cream to a boil and mix in the pink food coloring. (The color of the cream should be lighter, than the color you are looking for, because the color darkens when mixed with the chocolate and cooled.)
Pour the hot cream over the white chocolate and leave it for a few minutes, while the chocolate starts melting.
Stir with a dough scraper from the center of the bowl out, until all the chocolate has melted and the chocolate and cream have melted together.
Cover the chocolate ganache with cling film onto the surface of the ganache and leave it to cool completely in the refrigerator.
Whip the cream with sugar, cocoa and vanilla. It must be quite firm, but not buttery.
Mix a royal icing of egg white, icing sugar and green food coloring and fill into a piping bag with a small, round nozzle.
Decorating Hagrids birthday cake
Place one of the chocolate layers on a cake stand and cover the top with half of the cocoa cream. Place the second layer on top and cover its top with the rest of the cocoa cream. Place the last layer on top.
Spoon the cold, pink chocolate ganache on the top layer. Use a palette knife or spatula to smooth the ganache, but not evenly. Don’t forget the crack, where Hagrid sat on the cake and use a butter knife to make the stripes in the icing. The cake must not be too perfect.
Write ”Happee birthdae” with the green icing – and remember smiling, because this is the cutest cake ever☺
Hagrids cake - Black Magic
- Spread the cold pink chocolate ginger on the top cake. Don't spread it evenly so to be true to the movie. You should use a knife with gratings to smooth the cream, so that the lubricant will get in the chocolate.
- Make a crack in the ganache, where Hagrid has put on it. Write "Happee birthdae" on top with the green glaze - and remember to smile along the way :-)
If you have Harry Potter recipes that you would like to share, please feel free to leave a comment or contact us via Facebook.
Not sure what kind of magical dishes you can do? Here's some inspirations.